Somewhere in Europe

Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Madrid

After a few days in Spain Katie and I hired a car for a week. Let me tell you something for nothing, driving a car on the opposite side of the road is not easy. Im not a great driver at the best of times and for the first day that we got the car I drove like an L plater behind the wheel for the first time. I nearly turned onto the wrong side of the road a few times and between us Katie and I managed to piss off a lot of Spainards. I almost had an accident with one car and they went ballistic, but as they say a miss is as good as a mile.
We took the car up to Valencia for La Tomatina. La Tomatina is held in a village just out side of Valencia but what should have been a 40 minute drive took 5 hours (Im not kidding!) because the names of the towns on the map were in Spanish and the names on the signs were in Catalan which made things just a tad confusing.
We did eventually make it and it turned out to be the best day of my life. La Tomatina is basically a massive food fight where 30,000 people converge onto Buena, a small village and spend a few hours throwing tomatos at eachother. It was unreal, the street where its held was packed like a mosh pit, boys were grabbing girls and ripping their tops off. I got my top ripped off but luckily I had my cozzie underneath! I saw one girl storm out completly topless with a face of thunder! A big truck then drove through and dumped tomatoes for us to throw, from the moment that first tomato left my hands I thought "I love throwing stuff!!!" and I got right into it! Afterwards I was encrusted in tomato juice (so was everyone else) but I think it did something for my hair because the next few nights when I went out it looked fabulous!
Anyway now I´m in Madrid. Katie left to travel some more, but I´m staying to study. I had my first class today. I am at a beginer level, but the entire class is in spanish and by the end I felt like my brain was going to explode! I´ve got three weeks here though so hopefully Ill be seeing an improvement soon!
Adios

3 Comments:

  • At 9:20 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hey mate, it's Ange, sounds like you're having a good time over there!! Maybe you should get a HOT spanish teacher... it might help learning Spanish a little easier :)

     
  • At 3:58 am, Blogger Kate said…

    ange is crazy!

     
  • At 9:58 am, Blogger Carly said…

    I did have a hot spanish teacher. Mmmm mmm Jose was his name, maybe thats why I had trouble learning I was too distracted!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home